From € 65,00
Jews of Tykocin.
In the sixteenth century, Jews of Tykocin received from the king of Poland privileges of freedom living and possession of land in the city, freedom to trade every goods, as well as the right to produce and sell alcoholic beverages.
At the same time claimed that they can not violate the rights of the townspeople.
But it happened in the seventeenth century that the local priest at evening led church procession through the Jewish Quarter.
Local Jews with the rabbi and the local mayor - by sticks and rods dispersed the procession.
Pursuant to an agreement which soon concluded, priests from Tykocin committed not to carry out any procession through the Jewish quarter and Jews in return offered small donations to the church.
Interestingly, the mayor of the town that was sentenced to prison by the Polish king for the whole incident, didn't lose his office, and over the years is recorded in the books of the city as the acting position.
And the irascible rabbi is not even mentioned.
Synagogue. Wall of verses.
The prayer hall has a lowered floor referring to the words of the psalm:
"Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord".
The oldest inscriptions on the walls with a fragment of Psalm of David, come from the XVII century, however, most of the texts of prayers and biblical quotations are from the XIX century.
Tykocin. Kaczorowska Street.
A district inhabited before the war by the Jewish population was made up of a number of houses in the same style. By successive generations were adjusted to needs.
If the owner worked in trade - entrance doors were double doors and led directly to the street.
If carried out activities of craftsmen - expanded back of the building and cellars.
Under number 1 is on the Kaczorowska a house in which we can easily find traces of the former owners. Above the door on the right side is the Star of David made from the laths.
To this day, in the middle are preserved tiled stoves, furniture or even sanitary area with a stool on the bucket of water and a basin for washing.
Zyskind Olsztajn, a heir of the house, sold it in 1946 to a man who during the war took the property and had there a store with metal articles.
From memories of a Jew from Tykocin:
"On Monday, August 25 at six o'clock in the morning, all Jews, men, women, and children, came to the market.
At the square stood a table and chairs, on which sat the German police and began to mark the names of incoming Jews.
This procedure did not last long, however. As soon as the marketplace was filled with people, registration was suspended (...). Gestapo with help of the local Polish auxiliary police, armed with rubber whips, ordered closure of the marketplace. (...)
Meanwhile, at seven o'clock, seven trucks came up with the Gestapo.
At the last car noticed machine guns and several boxes of ammunition.
The whole marketplace was heavily guarded by the German murderers.
(...) In the fast-paced, with forced singing, under blows of the guards hastened Jews (...) to the village Zawada, where they were locked in, prepared in advance, a building of the local primary school. (...)
From the Zawada village led a simple and short way to the Lopuchowski forest, where were already prepared pits. (...)
Every few minutes to the primary school building drove up the car filled with Jews, to which Germans explained that they are taking them to a ghetto in Czerwony Bor.
However, they were carried into the pits, where they were thrown alive.
Pit was deep to 5 meters and there was no way to escape from there.
Cars drove back and forth all day, almost at dusk Germany ended their devilish work, filled the whole pit with people.
Before night the peasants from the surrounding villages buried pits under the supervision of the German bandits."
1. Transit Warsaw - Tykocin.
2. Tykocin. Great Synagogue: Main Hall (XVII century), Room of Rabin, memorabilia of the Jews of Tykocin. Talmudic House: Old Pharmacy, interior of bourgeois home.
3. Transit Tykocin - Lopuchowo.
4. Lopuchowo forest. Grave and memorial to the murdered Jews of Tykocin.
5. Transit Lopuchowo - Warsaw.
Total price for private guided tour with english speaking Educator & Driver:
All tickets and fees included in the price.
The total duration of the tour: 6 hours.
Distance between Warsaw and Tykocin is 175 km / 109 miles.
Distance between Tykocin and Lopuchowo is 5 km / 3 miles.
Approximate driving time one way: 2 hours.
Time of Tykocin Tour may vary slightly due to the situation on the road or random events which are out of Organizer's control.
To the death camp in Sobibor were directed transports mainly from Lublin Region, France and Netherlands. Killed more than 250,000 Jews here. In 1943, in the camp an uprising broke out under the leadership of the Russian Jew, the Red Army lieutenant - AlexanderDETAILS
We invite you to explore the lost city. In 1939, were 360.000 Jews here... now a Jewish community has less 500 people. We will visit the most important places starting from the Synagogue and the Jewish cemetery to the ghetto wall and Umschlagplatz monument.DETAILS
Tykocin is a small town situated on the bank of the river Narew. Before war population there was close to 4,000 persons, of which 2,000 were Jews. The city was famous for its great scholars - experts in the Torah, as well as the great merchants and entrepreneurs.DETAILS